This week we will learn about controlled vocabularies and how they relate to metadata. We will also continue talking about interoperability and metadata.
Weekly Learning Objectives
- Define what a controlled vocabulary is
- Explain what problems with information retrieval and organization a controlled vocabulary solves
- Identify relevant controlled vocabularies and data value standards for a given item.
- Identify relevant controlled vocabularies and data value standards for your CollectionBuilder project
Before class: Readings, resources, and tasks
- Miller, S. J. (2022) Metadata for Digital Collections, 2nd ed., Ch. 6 “Controlled Vocabularies for Improved Resource Discovery” (pp. 165-186)
Read the Wikipedia page for all the Getty vocabularies below, and then explore at least one in more detail by reading the Getty “About” and “FAQ” pages and using the online search interface.
Interoperability and OAI-PMH